When it comes to hydraulics process machines, these have their own pros and cons in comparison to mechanical presses. But, the advantages of the hydraulic press outweigh the disadvantages, which is why more and more manufacturers are switching to hydraulic presses. The hydraulic press machine price is another big factor why manufacturers are dumping mechanical press machines.
In this article, we will be looking at these advantages as well as taking a look at what are the downsides of these powerful machines.
Let’s start with the advantages of using a hydraulic press machine.
Advantages Of Hydraulic Press Machine
- Better Control: In comparison to a mechanical press or punch press, a hydraulic press offers better control over the power and pressure that you can apply to the material. This results in a more accurate and high-quality end product. If the work to be done is intricate and the raw material is scarce, it’s best to use a hydraulic press. Using a mechanical press can result in cracks in the material if not controlled properly.
- Same Pressure Per Inch: This is the primary reason why manufacturers prefer hydraulic presses to other press machines. When you use a hydraulic press, the pressure applied on a metal sheet or any other material sitting at the press plate is the same from every direction.
In other words, whether you want to crush one ball bearing or ten at once, the final result will be exactly the same for every ball bearing. The same doesn’t apply to a mechanical press.
- Versatility: Hydraulic press machines are much more versatile than any other press machine. They are programmable for clinching, punching, molding, elongating, staking, and a lot more. Hydraulic press machines come with various tools and die that you can use to create whatever your needs are.
- Quick & Cost Efficient: Depending upon the size of the press plate, a hydraulic press machine can finish a lot more work in less time. Moreover, because the majority of operation is automated, the need for labor is reduced too. So, it finishes the work quicker than human labor and takes away the labor cost too.
It’s not just the running costs that are low. Hydraulic press machines are cheaper than any other press or manufacturing machines. So, you save money in the short run as well as the long run.
Disadvantages Of Hydraulic Press Machines
All is not well with hydraulic press machines. Just like everything else, these too have their own problems and disadvantages.
- Overheating: Hydraulics press machines can overheat easily. The higher pressure and quicker speeds come at the cost of having to be careful not to overpressure the machine.
- Higher Energy Consumption: A hydraulic press machine consumes more electrical power than any other type of press. Another side effect of generating more power than the alternatives.
- Fluid Handling: Hydraulic fluid is the most important component of a hydraulic press, and it also requires the most maintenance. It needs regular changing, and you have to make sure it isn’t leaking- otherwise, the whole machine will end up damaged, and the operations will come to a halt.
All things considered, a hydraulic press machine has more advantages than it has disadvantages. Secondly, if you look at the disadvantages, most of them are avoidable with careful use.